1. Read James 3:4-14 and describe the significance of your tongue to your life.
2. Read Proverbs 18:21 and describe the power that is in the tongue.
3. How did God create the World? Genesis 1:2-30, Hebrews 11:3, Psalm 33:9
4. What authority did God give you? Genesis 1:26, Luke 10:19, Mark 11:23-24
5. Read Matthew 15:11-20 then describe what Jesus meant when He told the Pharisees and the Disciples that “it is not what goes into the mouth of a man that defiles him, but what comes out of the mouth is what defiles him”.
6. Based on the above scriptures and Proverbs 12:6 and 18:20 describe how important your tongue is to your life?
7. What are you going to do differently with your tongue based on this lesson?
Why Did God Create Us?
Everyone who is called by My name, whom I have created for My glory; I have formed him, yes, I have made him. Isaiah 43:7
We were created to glorify God. You can read it in 1 Corinthians 6:20, “For you were bought at a price; therefore, glorify God in your body and in your spirit, which are God’s.” And again in 1 Corinthians 10:31, “Therefore, whether you eat or drink, or whatever you do, do all to the glory of God.” The way to accurately glorify God is to allow Him to work through you. To truly glorify Him, you need to give Him every part of your life. Romans 12:1 says, “Therefore I urge you, brethren, by the mercies of God, to present your bodies a living and holy sacrifice, acceptable to God, which is your spiritual service of worship.” Many Christians only allow God to rule in part of their lives. God cannot be glorified the way He deserves if we do not give Him everything!
Picture the world champion Lego builder. He has built people, buildings, animals, etc. out of Legos. You give him a tub of Legos and tell him to glorify himself as a master Lego builder. His finished product is a stack of 5 Lego blocks. Not that impressive. However, all you gave him was 5 blocks. The world champion Lego builder cannot glorify himself with 5 blocks the way he should be glorified. God cannot be glorified the way He deserves either when you only give Him part of your life. God is the Master Creator who designed you and the world you are living in. If you give Him your whole life, He can and will turn it into something beautiful. Once you do the Romans 12:1 and give Him every part of your life, now you must do the Romans 12:2, “And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God.” You renew your mind by daily reading the Word of God (Joshua 1:8) and memorizing key scriptures that remind you of God’s promises and what He has instructed you to do. As you do this, God will manifest Himself and reveal His plans for your life (John 14:21). As you follow that plan, God will be glorified!
Proverbs 12:6 – The words of the wicked are, “Lie in wait for blood,”
But the mouth of the upright will deliver them.
Proverbs 18:21 – Death and life are in the power of the tongue, and those who love it will eat its fruit.
Bonus: Mark 11:23-24 – 23 For assuredly, I say to you, whoever says to this mountain, ‘Be removed and be cast into the sea,’ and does not doubt in his heart, but believes that those things he says will be done, he will have whatever he says. 24 Therefore I say to you, whatever things you ask when you pray, believe that you receive them, and you will have them.