1. From your perspective describe humility? What is the opposite of humility?
2. According to Psalm 25:9, James 4:10 (look up in amplified version) what are the benefits of walking in humility?
3. According to Matthew 23:12, Proverbs 29:23 and Luke 14:11 what are the consequences of not walking in humility or “exalting yourself”?
4. Who else besides God are we to humble ourselves before? See 1 Peter 5:5, Romans 13:1-7, Ephesians 6:2.
5. According to James 4:6, 1 Peter 5:6 and Proverbs 3:34 what happens to the proud versus the humble? Write your definition of grace.
6. Why is humility an important “attitude” for a believer to demonstrate in his/her walk with the Lord and with mankind? What can keep grace from being a part of your life (See Jonah 2:8)?
7. Jesus was the Believer’s example of humility. What does God ask you to do with His example? See Philippians 2:5-11, Micah 6:8
8. What keeps people from humbling themselves before God and Man? Are you going to live a life of “humility” before God and Man?
Why Did God Create Us?
Everyone who is called by My name, whom I have created for My glory; I have formed him, yes, I have made him. Isaiah 43:7
We were created to glorify God. You can read it in 1 Corinthians 6:20, “For you were bought at a price; therefore, glorify God in your body and in your spirit, which are God’s.” And again in 1 Corinthians 10:31, “Therefore, whether you eat or drink, or whatever you do, do all to the glory of God.” The way to accurately glorify God is to allow Him to work through you. To truly glorify Him, you need to give Him every part of your life. Romans 12:1 says, “Therefore I urge you, brethren, by the mercies of God, to present your bodies a living and holy sacrifice, acceptable to God, which is your spiritual service of worship.” Many Christians only allow God to rule in part of their lives. God cannot be glorified the way He deserves if we do not give Him everything!
Picture the world champion Lego builder. He has built people, buildings, animals, etc. out of Legos. You give him a tub of Legos and tell him to glorify himself as a master Lego builder. His finished product is a stack of 5 Lego blocks. Not that impressive. However, all you gave him was 5 blocks. The world champion Lego builder cannot glorify himself with 5 blocks the way he should be glorified. God cannot be glorified the way He deserves either when you only give Him part of your life. God is the Master Creator who designed you and the world you are living in. If you give Him your whole life, He can and will turn it into something beautiful. Once you do the Romans 12:1 and give Him every part of your life, now you must do the Romans 12:2, “And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God.” You renew your mind by daily reading the Word of God (Joshua 1:8) and memorizing key scriptures that remind you of God’s promises and what He has instructed you to do. As you do this, God will manifest Himself and reveal His plans for your life (John 14:21). As you follow that plan, God will be glorified!
1 Peter 5:5 – Likewise you younger people, submit yourselves to your elders. Yes, all of you be submissive to one another, and be clothed with humility, for “God resists the proud, but gives grace to the humble.”
Matthew 23:12 – And whoever exalts himself will be humbled, and he who humbles himself will be exalted.
Bonus: Jonah 2:8 – Those who regard worthless idols forsake their own Mercy.