1. What did John say Jesus would do regarding the Holy Spirit in Matthew 3:11?
2. What did Jesus say about the Holy Spirit in John 16:7? What name does He give the Holy Spirit? Explain what that name means to you?
3. What are some of the functions of the Holy Spirit according to John 14:26, John 16:8, John 16:13-15, Acts 1:8?
4. List some of the actions of the Holy Spirit in the following passages? Acts 8:26-40, Acts 13:1-3, Romans 8:26-27. Does God still lead people by His Spirit today?
5. What does Paul say about the Holy Spirit in I Corinthians 2:12-13? What does the Holy Spirit do for man?
6. According to Romans 8:14 how should Believers in Christ be led? What are the benefits of being led by God’s Spirit? Are you in danger if you are not led by His Spirit?
Why Did God Create Us?
Everyone who is called by My name, whom I have created for My glory; I have formed him, yes, I have made him. Isaiah 43:7
We were created to glorify God. You can read it in 1 Corinthians 6:20, “For you were bought at a price; therefore, glorify God in your body and in your spirit, which are God’s.” And again in 1 Corinthians 10:31, “Therefore, whether you eat or drink, or whatever you do, do all to the glory of God.” The way to accurately glorify God is to allow Him to work through you. To truly glorify Him, you need to give Him every part of your life. Romans 12:1 says, “Therefore I urge you, brethren, by the mercies of God, to present your bodies a living and holy sacrifice, acceptable to God, which is your spiritual service of worship.” Many Christians only allow God to rule in part of their lives. God cannot be glorified the way He deserves if we do not give Him everything!
Picture the world champion Lego builder. He has built people, buildings, animals, etc. out of Legos. You give him a tub of Legos and tell him to glorify himself as a master Lego builder. His finished product is a stack of 5 Lego blocks. Not that impressive. However, all you gave him was 5 blocks. The world champion Lego builder cannot glorify himself with 5 blocks the way he should be glorified. God cannot be glorified the way He deserves either when you only give Him part of your life. God is the Master Creator who designed you and the world you are living in. If you give Him your whole life, He can and will turn it into something beautiful. Once you do the Romans 12:1 and give Him every part of your life, now you must do the Romans 12:2, “And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God.” You renew your mind by daily reading the Word of God (Joshua 1:8) and memorizing key scriptures that remind you of God’s promises and what He has instructed you to do. As you do this, God will manifest Himself and reveal His plans for your life (John 14:21). As you follow that plan, God will be glorified!
John 16:7-8 – 7 Nevertheless I tell you the truth. It is to your advantage that I go away; for if I do not go away, the Helper will not come to you; but if I depart, I will send Him to you. 8 And when He has come, He will convict the world of sin, and of righteousness, and of judgment:
John 16:13 – However, when He, the Spirit of truth, has come, He will guide you into all truth; for He will not speak on His own authority, but whatever He hears He will speak; and He will tell you things to come.
Bonus: Romans 8:26-27 – 26 Likewise the Spirit also helps in our weaknesses. For we do not know what we should pray for as we ought, but the Spirit Himself makes intercession ]for us with groanings which cannot be uttered. 27 Now He who searches the hearts knows what the mind of the Spirit is, because He makes intercession for the saints according to the will of God.